Delish editors handpick every product we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Tex Mex Chicken Fajita Foil Packets
It's time to embrace the simplest summer meal there is: foil packets. They have the simplicity of a one-pot meal, but all the ingredients are wrapped up in aluminum foil, which makes for extra-simple cleanup. The prep is quick too, since everything cooks inside the foil. In the case of this version, that means a heap of veggies (there are potatoes, onions, and bell peppers) and tender nuggets of boneless skinless chicken thighs, all flavored with delicious fajita spices. Though potatoes aren't traditionally served with fajitas, here they're a welcome addition. Bonus: They soak up all that tasty fajita goodness.
Heavy-duty aluminum foil makes the packets strong enough for easy handling on and off the grill. If you don't have any, use a double layer of regular foil.
Warm the tortillas up on the grill and serve them alongside, or just enjoy straight from the foil packet with all the fixings.
For more foil packet ideas, try our gnocchi foil packets, Hawaiian chicken foil packs, or grilled shrimp foil packets.
Yukon Gold potatoes, scrubbed and sliced into 1/4"-thick half moons
medium red and green bell peppers, stemmed, seeded, and thinly sliced
medium red onion, thinly sliced
boneless skinless chicken thighs, cut into 1" to 2" chunks
Warm flour tortillas, sour cream, shredded cheddar, sliced avocado, and lime wedges, for serving
- Prepare a grill for medium-high heat; preheat 5 minutes. In a medium bowl, combine chili powder, paprika, salt, oregano, garlic powder, granulated sugar, and cumin.
- Lay 4 (16"-by-12") pieces of heavy-duty foil on a flat surface. Spray foil with cooking spray. Divide potatoes among foil sheets. Top potatoes with bell pepper and onion. Sprinkle each with about 1 teaspoon spice mixture.
- Add chicken to remaining spice mixture and toss to coat. Divide chicken among foil; top each with 1 tablespoon butter. Fold and seal edges of foil to create a packet.
- Grill, covered and rotating packets halfway through, until chicken is cooked through and vegetables are tender, 18 to 22 minutes.
- Carefully open packets and serve with tortillas, sour cream, cheese, avocado, and lime wedges.