Delish editors handpick every product we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Boston Cream Pie
The classic Boston Cream Pie isn't technically a pie at all, but a classic vanilla cake filled with a vanilla custard and topped with a rich chocolate ganache. The assembly is quick and much easier than frosting a cake in our opinion and the results are a soft buttery cake that stays moist thanks to the custard. If you love this American classic, you'll want to try our many variations, especially our Boston Cream Cheesecake!
Have you tried this yet? Let us know how it went in the comments below!
large eggs, room temperature
(1 stick) butter, melted
whole milk, room temperature
pure vanilla extract
large egg yolks
pure vanilla extract
dark chocolate chips
- Make the cake: Preheat oven to 350°. Grease a 9" cake pan with cooking spray. Line bottom of pan with parchment and grease parchment. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder and salt.
- In a large bowl, beat eggs and sugar on medium-high until thick, light in color, and starting to hold its shape, about 8 minutes.
- Add dry ingredients and milk, melted butter, and vanilla into wet ingredients. Mix on low speed, until just combined.
- Scrape batter into prepared pan. Bake until golden and a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean, about 40 to 45 minutes. Let cool for 15 minutes in the pan, then remove from pan and cool completely on a wire rack.
- Make the custard: In a medium saucepan, whisk sugar, cornstarch, and salt. Add milk and egg yolks and whisk until well combined. Add butter and place over medium heat. Bring to a boil, whisking constantly. Continue whisking until thickened, about 4 minutes.
- Remove saucepan from heat and scrape cream into a medium heatproof bowl. Cover top directly with plastic to prevent a crust from forming. Refrigerate until well chilled, at least 2 hours.
- Whisk vanilla into chilled pastry cream until smooth.
- Cut cake in half horizontally using a large serrated knife. Place bottom half on a platter or plate, cut side up. Spread chilled pastry cream over top. Sandwich with remaining half of cake, cut side down.
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, heat cream until bubbling. Add chocolate chips and corn syrup. Cover with a plate and let sit 5 minutes. Remove plate and stir until smooth. Pour chocolate over top of cake. Let set in refrigerator 30 minutes before slicing and serving.