Delish editors handpick every product we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Hot Chocolate Bombs
After the summer excitement of the whipped drink on TikTok, Dalgona Coffee, came winter's Hot Chocolate Bombs. For those who may have missed the latter trend, you're essentially dealing with molds of chocolate filled with homemade hot cocoa mix and marshmallows that explode after being dropped into hot milk. And although they're extremely fun to watch unfold, it's not just a novelty thing. The melted chocolate, along with the hot chocolate mix, makes the creamiest drink. Honestly, the best cup of cocoa I've had in a long time.
The bombs can be drizzled with extra chocolate and topped with sprinkles, crushed peppermint, or even crushed hard caramels. And all of these fun toppings can go inside the bombs as well! This recipe is extremely customizable, which is why it's so fun. My recommendation? Try it with oat milk!
Have you tried these? Let us know how you filled them in the comments below!
coconut or vegetable oil
dry milk powder
unsweetened cocoa powder
white chocolate chips or other assorted chocolate, for drizzling
Sprinkles, for decorating
milk, any kind
- In a medium microwave safe bowl, add chocolate and oil to bowl. Microwave in 30 second bursts, stirring after each burst until completely melted.
- Using 2.5” silicone sphere molds, add a couple of tablespoons of melted chocolate to bottom of 12 molds. Use a spoon to spread the chocolate all around the sides and bottom in a smooth layer, making sure there are no thin spots. Place into freezer and chill until solid, at least 30 minutes. You may not use all of the melted chocolate, but reserve to help seal the molds together later or for drizzling on top.
- Meanwhile, make hot chocolate mix: In a small bowl combine milk powder, powdered sugar, and cocoa powder.
- Carefully remove frozen chocolate from molds. Fill half of the molds with about 2 tablespoons of hot chocolate mixture and a few marshmallows.
- Place a small microwave safe plate in the microwave and heat for about 15 seconds. It doesn’t need to be hot, just warm to the touch. Working just one at a time, place one of the unfilled shells down on warm plate to melt the edge slightly. Place on top of a filled shell to seal together. Use extra melted chocolate to fill in any gaps or holes around the edges. You can also do a layer all around the seam and roll in sprinkles to cover. Repeat with remaining molds.
- In a small microwave safe bowl add chocolate chips and melt in 30 second intervals, stirring after each one until melted. Drizzle tops of hot chocolate bombs and top with sprinkles, if desired.
- For each hot chocolate bomb, heat 1 cup of milk and pour into a mug. Carefully drop a hot chocolate bomb into hot milk. Let the chocolate melt and release the mix inside and stir to combine.