Delish editors handpick every product we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Pumpkin Spice Cupcakes
If you are looking for a perfect pumpkin cupcake, look no further. These easy sweets are full of pumpkin spice and topped with a simple cream cheese frosting. We love it topped with some cinnamon sugar, but more pumpkin spice would also be delicious. Put these on the top of your baking list this fall!
What spices are in pumpkin spice?
If your spice cabinet is full and you don't want to buy another one, there's a good chance you can make it yourself. Pumpkin spice is usually made with cinnamon, nutmeg, ginger, cloves, and allspice. We have a simple recipe for pumpkin pie spice so you can make your own!
Can I make a buttercream frosting for these?
Absolutely! If you prefer buttercream over cream cheese, use our favorite buttercream frosting to decorate these. Add some cinnamon or maple extract to mix it up a little!
Can I use fresh pumpkin puree?
You maybe could get similar results, but we happen to love the texture and specific pumpkin-packed flavor you get from canned pumpkin for baked desserts like this
Any fun mix-ins?
Glad you asked! Chocolate chips, chopped toasted pecans, or coconut flakes would all be welcome additions. 😋
How do I store leftovers?
Any extra cupcakes will keep covered, at room temp, for a day or two. But any longer and you are going to have toss them in the fridge where they will last up to a week.
Made these? Let us know how they went in the comment section below!
Editor's Note: The introduction to this recipe was updated on July 29, 2021 to include more information about the dish.
(1 stick) butter, softened
packed brown sugar
pure vanilla extract
(15-oz.) can pumpkin puree
(8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
pure vanilla extract
Pinch kosher salt
- Preheat oven to 350° and line two muffin tins with liners. In a medium bowl, whisk together flour, pumpkin pie spice, salt, baking powder, and baking soda.
- In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat butter and sugars together until light and fluffy. Add eggs one at a time, beating well after each addition. Add vanilla and pumpkin puree and beat until incorporated. Add dry ingredients and mix until just combined.
- Fill cupcake liners ¾ full and bake until a toothpick inserted in middle of a cupcake comes out clean, 23 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Meanwhile, make frosting: In a large bowl using a hand mixer (or in the bowl of a stand mixer), beat cream cheese and butter until smooth. Add powdered sugar and pumpkin pie spice and beat until no lumps remain, then add vanilla and a pinch of salt.
- Transfer to a piping bag fitted with a large round tip and swirl frosting onto cooled cupcakes.
Nutrition (per serving): 303 calories, 4 g protein, 46 g carbohydrates, 1 g fiber, 35 g sugar, 12 g fat, 7 g saturated fat, 270 mg sodium