Delish editors handpick every product we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
Sugar Cookie Dreidels
There are the times of year—namely HOLIDAY TIME—when my schedule is so batsh*t crazy that the concept of whipping up a batter or dough just isn’t in the cards (I’m half-Jewish, half-Catholic, so we double-down on celebrations), and I make do with whatever I can find at my supermarket. These Hanukkah candy–stuffed dreidel cookies are so fun that no one cares we’re not making anything from scratch.
You can use your favorite homemade sugar cookie dough or follow my lead and use a couple store-bought logs. From there all you need are white and blue cooking icing, a tub of vanilla frosting, and M&M's Minis. See below for the full step-by-step.
(16-oz.) logs sugar cookie dough
(7-oz.) tube white cookie icing
(7-oz.) tube blue cookie icing
(16-oz.) tub vanilla frosting
(10-oz.) bag M&M's Minis
- In a large bowl, mix sugar cookie dough and flour with your hands until combined. Divide in half. Roll out each half on parchment paper to 1⁄4" thick. Use a dreidel cookie cutter to cut out cookies. You’ll need three cookies for each treat: two whole cookies, and one with a hole in the middle, to hold your treats inside. So cut in numbers divisible by 3: 6, 9, 12, 15, etc. Every third cookie, use the back of a piping tip to cut out the center of the cookie, like a donut. Once cookies are cut, refrigerate at least 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 350º. Bake cookies until golden around edges, about 9 minutes. Let cool completely.
- Assemble dreidels: Outline the edge of a whole cookie with cookie icing.
- Place a cutout cookie on top of the icing. Fill the hole with some M&M’s Minis.
- Outline the edge of the filled cookie with cookie icing and top with another whole cookie. Transfer to a wire rack placed on a baking sheet and let cookie icing set, 5 minutes. Repeat with other cookies.
- Transfer frosting to a liquid measuring cup and heat in microwave until melted, 30 seconds. Pour frosting over assembled dreidels, allowing it spill over the sides to cover.
- Let harden 1 hour, then decorate with blue icing.