Delish editors handpick every product we feature. We may earn commission from the links on this page.
What could be sweeter than baking the cutest heart shaped cookies for your special valentine or for yourself!? Honestly, you never need an excuse to make sugar cookies. We chose to make a cream cheese frosting for the cookies to make them extra special. And feel free to dye the frosting any colors you wish or use any sprinkles your heart desires! Perfectly customizable making them the perfect gift-able treat. If you're looking for a more basic sugar cookie frosting try our perfect royal icing!
Fingers crossed that your valentine is making you some chocolate covered strawberries.
Editor's Note: The introduction to this recipe was updated on January 22, 2021 to include more information about the dish.
Have you made these yet? Let us know what you think in the comments below!
all-purpose flour, plus more for surface
(2 sticks) butter, softened
pure vanilla extract
(8-oz.) block cream cheese, softened
(1 stick) butter, softened
pure vanilla extract
Pink and red food coloring
- In a large bowl, whisk together flour, baking powder, and salt. In another large bowl using a hand mixer, beat butter and sugar until fluffy and pale in color. Add egg, milk, and vanilla and beat until combined, then add flour mixture gradually until totally combined.
- Shape into a disk and wrap in plastic. Refrigerate 1 hour.
- When ready to roll, preheat oven to 350º and line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Lightly flour a clean work surface and roll out dough until 1/8” thick. Using a heart shaped cookie cutter, cut out cookies and transfer to prepared baking sheets.
- Bake until edges are lightly golden, 8 to 10 minutes.
- Make frosting: In a large bow using a hand mixer, beat cream cheese and butter together until smooth. Add powdered sugar, vanilla, and salt and beat until combined.
- Divide frosting into 3 bowls. Add pink food coloring to one bowl and red food coloring to another. Stir each bowl and add more food coloring until desired color is reached. Frost cookies using an offset spatula with each color of frosting, then top with sprinkles.